Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Pregnancy Ticker

October 15, 2011

Klaus is 1 year old!





Can you believe my little boy is already one year old!? Everyday he just gets more independent. I love watching him grow and change, but it does make me a little sad that some stages are gone forever. We've had such a full month! I'll do my best to be brief.

First, how has my one year old grown? Well, at his one year check up he now weighs almost 21 and 1/2 pounds, and he is 28 and 1/2 inches tall. He's not a midget like Mama, but he is just slightly below average. Doctor put him at 39%, which she said is just fine. He got two more teeth the week of his birthday, so he is now at four on top and two on bottom. He still won't walk by himself, but he gets along great holding onto something. I also catch him standing all the time not holding onto anything. His hair finally got long enough he had to get his first haircut before his birthday party. He did so good. We were in and out of the salon in probably 15 minutes. Our next transition we started this week is switching from formula to whole milk. He drinks most of the milk, but then keeps asking for milk and isn't satisfied until I give him some formula. So looks like it won't be as easy as the sippy cup transition.

I am amazed at Klaus's mental development too! He already understands so much and, thanks to the sign language we've been working, he communicates back with us very well. I highly recommend the sign language to any new parent! It took really almost until Klaus was about 11 months before he started doing the signs himself, but then he quickly learned how they can get him what he wants. Now he picks up new signs almost daily it seems. It is very clear that he understands exactly what I'm talking about by the way he communicates back either with signs, pointing, head shaking, or handing me things. I can even get him to point to my belly when I ask him where his baby sister is, but I don't think he fully understands what I'm talking about yet on that one. He also still makes lots of sounds, but hasn't vocalized any new words besides Mama and Dada.

We have had lots of activity at our house this month. We started a master bath renovation that should hopefully be done Monday. It has kept our house hopping with construction guys almost everyday for the past three weeks. Klaus has loved watching all the workers. I think he is convinced they come to see him. He gives them big smiles and waves when they come and go. Always my friendly, social boy.

We had two big birthday parties last weekend. One at our house mostly for Klaus, and one at Grandma Cher's for Klaus, Stasia, Mike, and Grandma Peg. He had so much fun playing with the kids at his party! He really liked having his pick of grandmas and aunts to love on too. His face just lit up every time another family member arrived at the parties. He enjoyed opening presents and ripping the paper, but he got frustrated when all the new toys were in boxes and he couldn't get to them right away. He liked the cards too! He loves to turn pages in books, so they were just like little picture books to him that he could open and close. He liked the taste of the cake pops I had at his party, but he wasn't into getting messy and smashing the cake at Grandma Cher's house. He really liked the candles on the cake at her house though. He was sad when they got blown out. Sadly, he really likes fire. We did a bonfire at Grandma Cher's after the party was over and he was memorized. It was a battle to keep him away from the fire though. He really didn't understand that touching it would hurt no matter how I tried to explain. Hope he doesn't become a pyro.

Our last big even this week was an annual trip to the apple orchard and pumpkin patch. There were no apples left to pick off the trees, so we just had to by some pre-bagged ones. Klaus had a blast though crawling around the orchard getting muddy and then playing among the pumpkins. We are going to try to carve his first pumpkin next weekend I think.  Still debating on taking him to the Children's Museum haunted house and on trick or treating this year.

Well, I said I would try to be brief so here are a couple baby girl updates and then I'll be done. I'm now 25 weeks along, meaning we have just over 100 days left before she is due! Pregnancy is going so fast this time, and I can only assume this last stretch will go faster because we will be so busy with holidays. I just had a check up this week and she is measuring right on target and all looks good. Baby girl is kicking all the time now. If you are lucky enough to be around when she is active, you can feel them and even see them if you watch my stomach. Daddy has felt them plenty and Grandma Cher got to feel some this week too.I'm curious to see what happens when Klaus feels her kick. Last note, Shea and I finally picked her middle name just yesterday. Middle initial is an "E," and the name has a bird meaning. That's all your clues. So her full monogram will be BEP.

Hope you enjoyed the updates. Talk to you in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment