Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Pregnancy Ticker

October 20, 2010

Klaus is 2 Weeks Old


My how time is flying! Klaus was two weeks old on Monday. We've been doing lots of eating, sleeping, pooping, and meeting family and friends. I thought it would be nice to send a little update.

We did struggle for the first 10 days or so with breastfeeding. I think we finally have it working smoothly. Klaus pretty much eats every 1-2 hours, but he is latching good finally and putting on weight. At his 1 week doctor visit, he had lost 7oz since birth due to our feeding struggles. I went back to the doctor today just to do a weight check and he was up to 6lbs 12.5oz. The doctor was pleased enough that we don't have to do another weight check until his 1 month visit.

Sleeping is going well. He doesn't sleep much during the day. Mostly little cat naps here and there, which does make it almost impossible for mama to get anything else done around the house. I have managed to squeeze in a shower everyday so far though. He is sleeping really well at night! I'm sure it is just a phase, but currently we get him to sleep for about 5 hours, eat once, then sleep again for about 4-5 more hours which gets us to when Daddy needs to get for work anyway. I'm very grateful for the night sleeping since his cat napping hasn't allowed me to get any naps in myself during the day.

We did break down this Monday and give Klaus a pacifier. The little fink already started sucking on his fingers to soothe himself at 6 days old. I was holding off on the pacifier as long as I could so it wouldn't interfere with breastfeeding (which we had worked so hard to get going), but I couldn't keep his hands out of his mouth and I would rather ween him off a pacifier than try to ween a thumb sucker. It has gone well so far and hasn't interfered with breastfeeding yet. It has helped give mama a little more peace too.

Shea and I have had a wonderful past two weeks getting to know our little man. He has so many facial expression even this young. He has a couple classic ones including a wrinkled brow look and a one raised eyebrow look. He likes sitting with mama on the couch and watching/listening to Daddy play rock band. He also loves the sunshine. We spend a lot of time in the library of our house looking out all the big windows at the sunshine.

Klaus has had lots of visitors and met new people the past two weeks including family, friends, and neighbors. He still has some more family and friends to meet. Maybe by Christmas he will have met most of them. We also had fun this past weekend introducing Klaus to his first holiday tradition. We took him to the apple orchard. Shea and I go with the Tooleys every fall to get pumpkins to carve and apples. This year we passed on the pumpkins. We didn't think we would find time to carve them. But we did get apples and raspberries. Klaus didn't think much of the experience because he pretty much spent the whole time sleeping in his carrier. We did get the cute picture of him in the pumpkin patch wearing the pumpkin hat I made for him you see at the top of this post.

Well, I think that is about it for now. I'll try to post some updates again soon. Don't forget to check out our Picasa site or my facebook page for new pictures. I do keep taking and posting pictures frequently. Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't met him yet, but I can't wait. Soon....

    He's so cute! Before you know it, you'll be making his first Halloween costume.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete